I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 16:03:07 -0400 (EDT)

Susan,

In your note to us you stated how you pitch raise twice and clean up the tune
on the third pass.  I propose if you pulled above pitch with the proper
method you would save yourself the third pass.  I clean up on the second
pass, and really I can say it is stable.  I also say I will need to come back
in three to four months but have always found the instruments in very good
shape.

Ed Tomlinson
Tomlinson Tuning and Repair

<<
 Now, I find this interesting, because I follow a similar procedure without
 the Accutuner. I pull only to A440 on the first pass (to see how the land
 lies, and not to overpull too far). Then, before the second pass, I can see
 how far the pitch dropped, and overpull enough to compensate. (What can one
 say? I _guess_.) By waiting for the second pass I don't have to overpull as
 far. The decision of how far to overpull is kind of subliminal, as I do each
 note. Usually it ends up pretty good, and the third pass is for tidying.

 I always explain it will need another tuning soon in order to be stable, of
 course. I tell them that I showed the piano which block the ballpark was
 located in, etc. I tell them that the piano, like other people, dislikes
 being told exactly what to do, and strays a little, etc. If they look
 accommodating, I tell them about back lengths and different tensions in
 different parts of the string. If they don't look blank and bored after
 that, I chose the right thing to say. (Once in a while, every now and then,
 one can get it right.)

 Susan Kline >>