Jumping Pins - Reply

Al Jeschke jeschkea@cadvision.com
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:03:52 -0600

        For what it's worth, this is an experience I had while rebuilding a
Steinway grand for a music teacher in another city.  A previous "tooner" had
applied a tuning pin tightener, which I believe could very well have been
glycol antifreeze.  The pinblock otherwise appeared to be in very good
condition, and I was not about ready to remove the glued in pinblock.  The
first test pins installed were so jumpy, it would have been absolutely
immpossible to tune the piano if restrung in the manner as the first test
pins.  I went to work to try and rectify the problem by first swabbing a
tuning pin hole with lacquer and immediately drive a tuning pin.  Though
very slightly less, I still had the jumpy pin.  I then swabbed another
pinhole with lacquer, let it dry overnight and drove in the tuning pin next
day.  To my, rather delightful surprise, my problem was solved.  I proceeded
doing the same to all the tuning pin holes with the same result as with the
last test pin.  That happened in 1978.  Curious as to how the job lasted, I
enquired from the technician about a year or two ago, who services that
piano regularly, and was told that the piano tunes as normal as any other piano.
        For all who might try this, I hope it works as well for you.

Al Jeschke  RPT
Jeschke's Piano Sevice
Calgary, Alberta