Satisfying musicians

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 11:55:09 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-04-09 09:53:32 EDT, Bill Maxim writes:

>Now she calls that the problem is back.  In the mean time, I have located a
>real dummy damper with a stiff spring, and I am going in a few days.  I have
>been checking the bleed-through from the bass in other pianos I have been
>tuning.  I am sure she will not spring for a bass damper redesign, and I am
>unsure if that will help much.  How can I convince her that it is in the
>range of normal, and that focusing the tone by tuning has brought it to her
>attention?
>
>Please forgive the long post.
>
>Bill Maxim, RPT

This thread has been brought up before. How can we convince customers that a
problem with a piano is not your fault, but the fault of the piano. My answer
is to suggest that the customer hire another piano technician. If the probelm
was solved by the other technician, then you've lost a customer. And that is
not always bad. For one, who wants a chronich complainer for a customer. And
second, we go to seminars and chapter meeting to learn because we don't have
all the answers. Perhaps the other technician did know something you didn't.

If the problem was not solved by the other technician, the customer might get
the picture, and call you back in the future.

Although it would be nice to think we know it all, and can satisfy even the
most discriminating customer, we should try to realize our own limitations,
and accept defeat once in  a while.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis