Satisfying musicians

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 13:10:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Bill.

A couple of thoughts here, the first being that neither one of these
pianos are what I'd classify as "musician's instruments". The first
is, well, a U1 and the second a 30 year old EAST-German-made upright.
I don't think you need be intimidated by either the instruments, or the
owners.

The "U1". Assuming that the probkem is with the leftmost string, and
that when you seated it on the bridge you also made sure that the bridge
pins themselves weren't loose and contributing to the "wildness" of the
string, did you try needling the left side of the hammer which impacts
the string, to see if that might not minimize the problem?

Pinao #2. You said that the dampers are not" following the strings". Are
you sure that the problem lies with the damper lifter-rod amd not the
damper regulation itself? In other words, could it be that damper lift
from the key is not properly regulated? When you press down a key are the
dampers lifting immediately? Could the damper levers be resting on the
spoons, themselves and therefore not fully seating on the strings? Com-
pounding the problem, could the capstans also be set too high? Lots of
possibilities here. Also you might take a look at the waste ends of the
strings between bridge and hitch-pin. Are they muted or open? Sometimes
these segments, if un-muted, can vibrate loud enough sympathetically that
it makes it appear that the problem is with the dampers, when it's not.
Some stringing braid woven between the waste ends might help. One often
sees this problem on older Steinway uprights. Remember you're dealing with
a 30 year-old East-German-made upright here, not a Schimmel!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net