String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...) <Pine.PMDF.3.91.970409222816.543878311A-100000-100000-100000@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 11:16:44 -0700 (MST)

To Mr. Kuang and List:

It has been my considerable experience that strings break more often in
raising the pitch than in lowering, But much more often from hard playing.
While working at ASU for 15 years,  I believe there were only 3 strings
that broke while I was tuning, but every week on Monday, I would repair
or replace from 3 to 7 strings broken by extreme heavy playing over the
weekend.  Some students would practice all day long on Saturday or Sunday
to make up for lack of practice earlier in the week, and they seemed to
hope that playing louder would make up for missed hours during the week.

Jim Coleman, Sr.