lifetime job?

KUANG v137z2ng@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 01:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list:
	Thank you for all your valuable suggestions.  I'm going to talk to
the tuner and find out if he's "underpaid".  Ironically, I heard him
talking with another guy about planting trees in his backyard a day or two
before the concert.  This guy, in his 50's or 60's is a RPT (although he
never showed up in meetings) and, as far as I can tell, he knows ALOT and
has tons of experience.  I've seen those broken strings he connected, it's
truely amazing (either he was trying to save school piano wires or he
didn't want to go back to his studio to get strings).
	If he doesn't convince me then I'm going to write letters.
As far as tuning the piano myself, I'm afraid it's not a good idea
because someone might say "I saw this kid messing up with this beautiful
Steiway D the other day.  Now there's a crack in the bass bridge."  Until
I become a RPT myself, I should only tune those pianos in practice rooms
(Stability is a real challenge).  Right now I have to learn more about
repairing (this list is an invaluable source to me), tunning shouldn't be
a problem for me (I have tuned since when I was 14 or so, my first victim
was a brand new 7'X" Boesendorfer :p ).
regards
Kuang