lifetime job?

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:35:47 -0500 (CDT)

>...What should I do about this?  Or there's nothing I can do about
>it because the tuner has a lifetime job?  By the way, he was nowhere to
>be found before and during the concert.  (I wish I had my hammer handy...)
>
>Kuang Wang

Dear Kuang, List,

A few possibilities exist for this situation you have encountered.

1) The technician has fallen asleep at the wheel.  I mean this literally.
Sometimes in university work, complacence sets in for the individual, and
they just don't hear the requests made by others.  This requires
persistent, but diplomatic exercise on your part to reawaken this
individual to their importance in the success of a recital program.  You
need to help this individual recognize their value once again, so they will
want to be a part of the music program in a whole new way.

2) This technician may not care anymore.  Just does enough to get by.  If
this is the case, it probably would take the course of action that some of
the others have recommended.  Though I would start with your piano
performance counselor first, then the Chair of the Piano Department, then
the Chair of the Music Department, then the Dean of the Fine Arts
Department, etc.  For this type of an individual authority usually rules
the day for them to awaken.  I wouldn't personally want anyone to wake me
up in this fashion, but if I needed it, well then, that is what would be
necessary.

3) This technician may not know how to correct the problems you say you are
experiencing for various reasons, lack of communication, lack of know-how,
etc.  Communicating is crucial to determine is this is so.  You might start
with the worst offending problem and focus them on that.  Find the common
denominator that will get you both on the same thing.  Then ask, conjjole,
plead, even beg this person to at least try their skills at making some
kind of improvement.  Any attempt made, even if failed will indicate
significant clues to determining the next course of action.

One case history in point: I was once asked, quite firmly, by a Piano
Performance Major, that they did not want me on the stage 30 minutes prior
to their Senior recital.  They obviously were aware that many times before
recitals, I would still be there on stage tuning away, or whatever, when
the audience would start to come in.  My first inner reaction to this
request was filled with indignation, and "just who do you think you are"
type thoughts.

To this day I now make it a practice of always being out of the concert
hall 30 minutes prior to performance time by scheduling 30 minutes earlier.
No more time pressure for me, and no more inconvenience for the others.
What a blessing that has been in my life, and all because someone had the
courage to face me off with what was important to them.  Piano performance
majors and visiting artists can be the ultimate teachers for me.  They
always seem to take me farther into technicianship than I usually want to
go by myself.

Kuang, if you can't at least make it happen for yourself, you will in the
long run help make it happen for others who will follow in your footsteps.
Chipping away at something eventually gets done what is ultimately needed.
And that technician individual will be a better person for your efforts,
however small.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net