Repetition Lever/Jack PermaLube Surface?

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:15:34 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Folks,

     Ran into something I've never seen before.

New piano, just delivered into home. Call was; "Tuning & Fix Sticky Keys".

Here's the topper;
     There is a clear line across the tops of the jacks (in the rep- window)
where there is NO teflon coating across the jack. Bare wood, then a dark line
and thin coating of teflon. In addition, fibers of the knuckles seemed to be
attached to the rep-lever and jack. When I saw the fibers, I assumed that
they had worked off the knuckles... so I reached for a brush to remove
them...and they wouldn't come off! Actually had to SAND the fibers off the
levers. Bleagh.
     It looks like the hammers were dropped onto the action while these parts
were still WET with the coating of permanent-lubricant. The first stroke of
the key would explain why the jacks have coating on only 1/2 their surface...
and why fibers are ATTACHED to the rep-levers. Strange, but true. Anybody
else seen this???

Question;
     What's the best product for re-surfacing the levers & jacks at the
bearing points?

Bewitched, bothered & bewildered,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services