Bass String Replacement

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:57:06 -0400 (EDT)

>    I've also replaced quite a few sets over the years without letting down
> the tension on the rest of it. Never a problem. Always on uprights though.
> I've never done just bass strings on a grand.
>
> Avery

Over the years I've routinely done this on fine-quality grands, too, with
no problem other than that the tuning of the treble strings gets thrown
out of whack quite a bit. Also, I don't remove the old strings until the
new ones are in hand and ready to install. I guess if you really wanted to
play it safe you could do just half at a time. One-at-a-time seems need-
lessly tedious and slow, but maybe I've just been lucky over the years.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net