Notes 85-86-87-88

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 22:21:49 -0600

At 10:53 PM 4/10/97 -0600, Sy wrote:

>So far I've been telling on myself. So how many other aural tuners are
>also tuning sharp. Well since 1990 I've found a few. I know of one tuner
>about age 44 who tunes sharp on these high notes, sometimes 25 to 30 >cents
sharp.

I use an Accutuner (#423 and I'm 45) and STILL pull the last few (four?)
notes fairly sharp. Looking at some stored tunings I see C8 anywhere up to
66 cents when it "should" be nearer 47-49 compared to B7, so I appear to be
pulling about 15-18 cents sharp of the SAT. One tuning (on an SD-10) is
extremely sharp the last half-octave at the client's request, ending with C8
at 86 cents, which is a little too sharp even for me.

I find the FAC tends to leave the treble slightly dry for my tastes and so I
usually tend to push the upper number a bit. Do other SAT users do that as
well?

>I've been able to study him on two occasions. I've found a few pianos with
>sharp high notes but I didn't know who tuned them. I'm now wondering if
>tuning sharp on these notes is common.

My father (who taught me aurally) and his father always tuned the last few
notes very sharp (almost a semi-tone!) which is the way THEY were taught. I
don't set those last couple of notes nearly as sharp as they did unless I'm
deliberately doing an "aggressive" tuning (purer fifths with
highly-stretched octaves). Even then C8 rarely ends up more than 75-80 cents
sharp (as opposed to as much as 150 as I've heard on some pianos).

>But I do question if any can beat the SAT in octave seven. I can't.

It's certainly handy for octave seven as it is for the entire piano. There
are difficult unisons on some pianos where it can be especially valuable,
even if I usually prefer doing my own unisons. I find it extremely
satisfying (and usually more accurate) to hear the unisons start to sing by
my own ear and let the computer just track any drift.

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com