bridges/seating

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 10:45:20 -0400 (EDT)

This appeared in rmmp. back in December.
Bob Scott wrote:

An easy way to understand false beats is to imagine the piano string
just after it is struck.  It is vibrating essentially up and down.
But it doesn't continue to vibrate that way.  It begins drifting
towards a side-to-side vibration.  When it vibrates like that there is
less coupling to the sound board.  Then the vibration continues to
drift to an up and down motion - this time upside down from the
original motion.  Now it is producing sound 180 degrees out of phase
with what it was doing originally.  If it goes through this cycle once
per second you will hear a once per second fluctuation in the loudness
of the note.  It is not like vibrato, which is a fluctuation in the
pitch of a note.  Now what makes the string decide to start vibrating
sideways?  Lots of various imperfections in the string or its seating
can cause that.  But the effect is a cyclic fluctuation in the
loudness of the note which is indistinguishable from the sound made
from two strings tuned slightly off from each other.

   -Bob Scott  (rscott@wwnet.com)