tapping strings at bridgepins

allegro allegro@silk.net
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:13:19 -0700

Sorry.  Can't stand it any longer. So here is my two cents on seating
strings that crawl up bridge pins.
At a PTG convention-class years ago this situation was addressed and the
instructor, possibly Susan Graham, demonstrated seating the strings by
tapping sideways and down (about a 45degree angle), but away from the base
of the pin.  Not into it as some of you have described.  Just a gentle tap
with a brass rod (tip flattened) and the string breaks free from the
bridge and the side pull guides it into the base of the bridge pin.  This
is the way I have always done it.  I would be hesitant to do it into the
pin even once, let alone repeatedly.  You can hear a little "ting" as the
string drops back to the bridge.  Of course it doesn't always elimnate the
beats. I want to try the suggestions on CA glue.

Steve McCann
Westbank, B.C.
allegro@silk.net