shop-built tilter? (was Re: Loose pinblock

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:55:47 -0500

I knew I forgot to post something.  Does anyone have plans for a shop
built tilter? This surely must have appeared in the magazines over
the years.  I would gladly send for a reprint.
	I have built two, one a no knock down, and the other a prototype for
the one I want to build now. The first one was just 2 x 4 's nailed
together with 1 x 5 cross members in X fashion.  All used lumber.  I
didn't even use a curved rocker for the tilter part.  You don't
really need it. I didn't make it because I believed myself strong
enough to bring it down to the first legs, then tilt it on over to
level. Besides I could always add it later.  Well I must
have lucked out and got the distances and proportions right because
it was much easier to tilt than I imagined. But it sure took up shop
space.
	The prototype on the other hand has curved rockers, and I think it
puts too much of the weight of the piano on the first two legs. (And
consequently puts too much of the weight in the middle of the piano
in the horizontal postiton.  I probably made the rockers too long.Its
an easy thing to move those two legs forward more.) The hard part
will be making it so it will knock down.  I will also need some
custom made cleats to grab under the bottom of the piano, unless
anyone knows of something out of a hardware store that might serve.
I can't remember what I used on the first one.
	I would like to go whole hog on this one and have wheels just like
in the APSCO picture.  Gosh that looks nice and the price is about
$50 less than I guessed.   Still, unless I get really bogged down I
will yield to the Scotch in me.    I'll gladly post the measurements
and materials list when I get it built.
Richard Moody.
ps that reminds me of Horace's 2 inch by 2 inch solid  maple
regulating table.  He must service the Pierce miniature piano
collection, or there is a lot of Scotch in him. --x(~:Þ