Schraffed bass strings

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:30:30 -0400 (EDT)

Steve
The purpose of the scuffing is to increase the union between the
copper and the core, so that they move in unison.  A dead string,
even one without a scuffing, is usually due to a very loose section
of wrap.  This can happen if a fly lands on the string winder's nose
 while he is wrapping the string.  If the fly comes back a few times
 this can happen on more than one string.  Be glad he stopped
 winding and killed the fly or  you'd have had more dead strings.
 Hope that is just a little more than helpful.  :)
Seriously, if these are double wound it is most likely the two wraps
are not functioning together. A loose top wrap does not always cause
 a buzz, just a dull sound.  A  loose top layer easily absorbs the
energy rather than transferring it away.  A loose single wound usually
does have a buzz, but even if it doesn't, I can think of only
 only one cause for this problem, energy absorbed not transferred.
I recommend getting them to send four new strings.
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA