Viruses

Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:23:39 -0700

Newton and list,

The only really safe thing is to turn the computer off and unplug it.  That
way, you'll never have to worry about virus infections (at least - oh,
never mind).

This approach, however, does have a few drawbacks.  You can't watch your
fancy screen saver, for one.  Or play Solitaire.  Or Duke Nukem.

But, seriously, folks, viruses can ruin more than just your whole day, if
you are even reasonably involved with your machine.

Please, take the time to search out and religiously use at least one good
AV program all the time.  Yes, this includes scanning every file that
enters your machine, whether from a disk or the wire.

Best to all.

Horace

>A virus is not fun.  Some how I pickup one up (I do practice safe se, er
>computing).
>
>This virus was a strange one.  It was small and attached itself to the boot
>record of any disk it infected and waited for a file of about 200,000 bytes
>to appear at which time it trasted the Master Boot Record.
>
>I spendhours and hours trying to find all the disks that were infected using
>Norton Anti-virus to disinfect all the floppies and hard drives around here.
>I am still not sure that I have gotten them all.  What a royal pain.
>
>Please do practice save;
>        sex
>        computing
>        faxing
>or anything else that exposes your .. parts.
>
>        Newton
>        nhunt@jagat.com

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"The defining statistic of death is that it has a one to one ratio."

		- George Bernard Shaw

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942