Kawai Question

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:54:21 -0700

> From: Avery Todd <atodd@UH.EDU>    snip

>    Does anyone have any experience with the Kawai EX? I think that's the
> correct model designation. The new, expensive model concert grand.
>    What I'm primarily interested in right now are comments about the
sound,
> feel, etc. Any personal experience with it, either as a performer or
> technician.
>    Any technical type comments would be welcome too, of course. (Gotta
keep
> it relevant.) :-) I've had no experience with it at all and am interested
> in finding out anything anyone would like to share.
>
> Avery

Several months ago I examined, and played on two of them at Kawai's HQ in
LA.  Both instruments were performance ready, and they were superb.  As
good as pianos get.    Typical Kawai workmanship (although I didn't see
them come out of the crate);  Terrific action, sensitive and responsive;
Beautiful tone, sings as softly as you want it to, and yet when you "floor
it", big strong tone with power to spare.   Quite honestly, not the kind of
sound I would have expected from a Kawai  (and I don't mean for that to
sound like a backhanded compliment).

A month or two later, I tuned one of them when it came down here to San
Diego for a concert.   An easy, very pleasant tuning.  Clear, clean tone
all the way across the board.

A great instrument.    As good as anything I've ever seen/heard.

Myler, Tom

"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is the knowledge
of one's own ignorance"

                                 John Steinbeck