Piano Evaluation

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:00:22 -0400 (EDT)

>Piano is a Kingsbury 5' Baby Grand built in 1925.
>
>Has been refinished (walnut) and new keytops installed, but no new sharps.
>
>Hammers are worn.  Most could be filed but about six are down to the wood.
>
>Bass strings somewhat tubby sounding but acceptable.
>
>Pins average tighteness. Pinblock not cracked
>
>Sound board has one crack, but it is tight and no rattle is apparent.
>
>Average wear on action.
>
>My first thought is to evaluate this instrument on a "What would it be worth
>in mint condition"  and then subtract the cost of the repairs necessary to
>get it to that condition.
>
>I don't deal in piano sales enough to know what they are
worth...particularly
>the grands, baby grands.
>
>Would be interested in the lists opinion as to value.  Just a ball park
>figure.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dick Day

Dick:

The new finish will help the price, but the rest of the piano makes this one
an average "run of the mill el cheapo". I would guess you could get around
$2000 for it.

Your thought of   "What would it be worth in mint condition and then subtract
the cost of the repairs necessary to get it to that condition" is a good way
to try to get a figure, but in a case like this, the cost of total
restoration is going to a lot more that the value of the instrument.

It cost about as much to rebuild a Steinway, or Baldwin, (around $8000-
$10,000) as it does to rebuild a Kingsbury, Starck or Howard baby grand
(around $7,000 - $9,000). But just as with the new prices, the value of those
pianos (around $5,000 rebuilt),  is not any where near the value of the
Steinway or Baldwin grand (around $10,000 - $15,000). Therefore you can't use
your logic of subtracting the cost of rebuilding from the vlaue of the
instrument. You'll come up with a negative number.

Willem blees  RPT
St. Louis