tuning sequence

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 22:42:43 +0100

Dear Dick

There was an interesting article in IMIT January "Soundings" by Adrian
Carpenter.  He wrote an article describing the effects of the varying
lengths of dead string  on stability of the tuning.

Unfortunately he has copyrighted this article so I cannot reproduce it
for you on the list.  But the gist of the article referred to.  "That if
the right hand string is flatter, than the piano has dried out, and if
the left hand string is sharper the piano has humidified".

After reading this article I did observe some of my pianos more closely
and I found in the main the right hand string had gone flat.  However,
when I checked the pitch not all of the pianos had gone flat from pitch.
Possibly,  if I was using an ETA and could measure  V. small changes in
pitch.  I could agree with his hypothesis.  On paper it seems a logical
explanation. Unfortunately though my results were inconclusive.  The
only part I could substantiate,  is that the pianos with the right hand
string out of tune and down in pitch.   Were in a dry environment.
With a lot of these pianos once you brought the middle two octaves up to
pitch the rest of the piano fell in to line.  Yet: in the high treble
the right hand string was the prominent offender of the unison.

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <199704242048.OAA21340@mail.initco.net>, DICK BEATON
<rbeaton@initco.net> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |