New Player Pianos

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 17:57:05 +0000

> A restaurant here thinks they would like an upright player,
> the new-fangled computer type. I can not offer them any
> advise and would appreciate recommendations.
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Page
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

Jon,

	Do they have an existing piano, or are they purchasing a new
instrument? There are several options:
	1) Retrofitting an old upright (hopefully rebuilt) with a digital
system by QRS. It's an 80-note solenoid drive system that can be fit
onto practically any piano. I've just finished a factory installation
course on these systems at the Baldwin plant in Conway, AR, and I was
impressed with the construction and operation of this system
	2) Buying a new piano with a system already installed. PianoDisc in
Sacaramento (http://www.pianodisc.com) offers several different new
pianos with their system installed. The models are mostly Young
Changs of one sort or another, and the solenoid system is good,
although the new Silent Drive system is the one to get. Also, Baldwin
has the Concertmaster system (using the QRS solenoid engine), and
Yamaha has Disklavier, all available on their respective products.
	My recommendation, whatever system you get, is to familiarize
yourself thoroughly with all aspects of the system, get as much
factory/technicial help as you can, and be up on software updates,
glitches, and bug fixes. You have to be piano/computer/electronic
technician to keep one of these systems working optimally, and don't
head out to service one without carrying components and a good
service manual at your side.
	Mark Burgett is the man to talk to at PianoDisc, he's the San Diego
service technician. I don't have his number handy, but I'll dig it
up.  Steve Bryan is the service man at Baldwin, for the
Concertmaster (and they sell the QRS base systems) at 1-800-876-2976
ext. 8585.  I'm not sure who to contact for the inside scoop for
Disklavier (Larry? help me out here!)

Hope this rambling yields some info.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,