Elastic limits,

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:29:35 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

The National Wire Co of Niles MI had an Instron tensioning machine which
extended a 10 inch wire at the rate of 1 inch per minute. A graph was made
of the result of the tensioning up to the time of the break.  The graph
was linear up to the point of elongation. An arbitrary line was drawn
afterward which was parallel to the original graph straight line portion,
but spaced at .2 % away.  Where this line intersected the  yield curve
was the official location of the yield point on the curve. One could then
figure the % of break strength. The graph is too complicated to try to
draw with ASCII art.

The words elastic limit were not used in this study.
I assume them to mean the limit to which a string can be stretched and yet
return to its original length. Of course in piano considerations, the
speaking length of the string remains relatively constant since the V-bar
does not move and the bridge moves very little. In Bass string making, it
is important to know how much the string stretches in coming up to pitch
because it is not wise to pull the copper winding up into the agraffe.
The thin high tensioned wound strings in the tenor section can stretch more
than 3/8 inches.  Most string replacement companies will generally make
the unwrapped lengths at the agraffe end a little longer than the original
just to guard against the possibility of the wrap ending up in the
agraffe. The Parson PScale program computes this elongation in order to
let the designer have full control of the unwrapped lengths which have so
much to do with the final inharmonicity of the Bass strings.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS Thet above test was actually done by another person under the
   supervision of Charles Walter, my boss (term of endearment).