New Player Pianos

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:41:31 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jon,

Same here on the Disklavier recommendation. It's the best engineered, best supported system in production. It's also already in a high quality instrument. Now a few words of warning about putting ANY player in a restaurant.

Management LOVES to put pianos with their backs to a floor to ceiling picture window on the South side of the building where the sun shines on the soundboard all day! They will ignore all warning to the contrary, followed by REPEATED calls complaining tha
t the piano won't stay in tune. They are extremely education resistant in this regard, so be prepared for a long term,  increasingly belligerent continuing ED program.

The piano is too loud for diners in the immediate vicinity. The management wants you to fix it so they can turn it down like a stereo, so it's quiet enough to be ignored. I've never understood why anyone would want to spend that much money for something t
o produce subliminal noise, but that's what they are expecting the instrument to do. It won't, of course, being a mechanism rather than a speaker, so you may ultimately be forced to retrofit a muffler rail rather than cripple the system.

Pre-educate them about these two points before they buy, and life will (may) be much easier for you.

Ron Nossaman

At 05:25 PM 4/26/97 -0400, you wrote:

><< A restaurant here thinks they would like an upright player,
> the new-fangled computer type. I can not offer them any
> advise and would appreciate recommendations.
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Page >>
>
>Jon,
>   IMHO, the Yamaha Disklavier is the best available. They have incremental
>pedaling and they are just a better design, less problematic. Very good
>customer service from Greg, Mark and the others at Yamaha.
>
>Doug Hershberger, RPT

 Ron Nossaman