Do yellow pages pay?

Kilgour2@aol.com Kilgour2@aol.com
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:34:08 -0400 (EDT)

Wally,
Yellow Pages have really paid off for me.  With my own name, (Kilgour) I was
about halfway down the list of 20 technicians in our 250,000-person
metropolitan area, so I named my business Allegro Piano Service, which put my
half-inch ad second on the list behind A440 Piano Service.  I receive at
least two or three calls a week, and sometimes two or three a day.  Yes, many
of them are letting their fingers do the walking, but a good, warm phone
manner often helps them decide not to look further.  If a phone inquiry is
for something I don't do (like move or buy pianos) I can refer them to other
technicians who do those things.  If I'm not interested in the piano I can
tell them I'm booked up for the next several weeks.
Many of my yellow-pages referrals become good once-a-year or every-six-month
clients and refer their friends to me.  I can't imagine anything better than
yellow pages (and a business with a name at the top of the alphabet) to help
a good technician build his/her business.
Go for it!
Martha Kilgour