Re-Notch or No

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 23:41:17 -0400 (EDT)

One of my favorite customers is ready to put a new pinblock into his 1924
S&S D and the question has come up about the notching in the mid-treble
section of the bridge. Even though this is a 1924 piano AND it had a new
belly at the factory sometime in the 1960s, the notching in this section
is (horrors) parallel to the bridge instead of the capo  bar. (And we all
thought that this design feature got left behind in the 19th century.)

It''ll be easy for the rebuilder to lay a new cap in this one section and
give it 20th century notching. The unisons in this region have certainly
been tunable, if a little "restless". I'm inclined not to perpetuate this
mistake yet again

What bethinks this angus ("did I get that right") body.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you
are"    From a recurring nightmare.