Wurlitzer hexagonal soundboard

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 23:07:25 -0400

At 16:52 97-04-29 -0500, you wrote:

>However, I am still stuck with this three-layered solid spruce soundboard
>concept that has the grain running in three different directions, then
>glued together.  Is there anyone other than myself who has heard of this
>concept as well?  Or is this the lamination type soundboard concept?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Keith A. McGavern

>Dear Keith,
>The 3 plies in the soundboard are just the standard laminated veneers.  The
>claim was that the vibration would travel in all directions equally well.
>Just a claim mostly to overlook the fact that the board will not vibrate as
>easily because it is much more rigid with 3 ply construction.
>James Grebe from St. Louis

Also not to forget that wood shrinks and swells only across the grain. So if
you have grain going across the others for the middle ply, you have much
much more dimension change with humidity variations. That, for me, explains
a lot why these little buggers will move so much with humidity changes.

Marcel Carey, RPT