String Levelling

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:03:02 -0500

List
	For the last 25 years I have been tuning unisons and not aware of
them being "out of level"  Now I am wondering when this concept came
into being, and why it was not mentioned by three tuners I would call
masters whom I studied under, and again why in literature including
Reblitz (1st ed), the Travis Restringing, William B. White, "Theory
and Practice of Piano Constrution", string leveling is not mentioned.
 (Yes I read the Renner/Baldassin manual)
	I am aware of the man who appears to have perfected the modern piano
wire in the 1900's  as saying, "Any wire bent beyond its elasticity
limit is no longer functional as music wire" or words to that effect.

	In this regard I ask ,, what are you doing when you "level" strings?
 Or maybe the question is, if you "level" strings and they are
elastic, won't they tend to go out of "level" after a while??
	On an imaginary level, I can understand why strings that have been
"leveled" buzz in the agraffs, and duplexes.  That beautiful curve of
the string around pressure points, which is the nature of an elastic
music string,, destroyed by "leveling", for what??

Richard Moody

--------

--------