strict temperature effects

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:09:09 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jim:

IAK  I am confused. I have had many experiences where when the air
conditioner came on while tuning, the mid range area pitch rose sometimes
as much a 2 cents. Your data shows a change in the opposite direction.
Do you suppose that in my case the strings responded befor the plate
responded?  My thinking has always been that the wire when colder has a
greater tensile strength and when it is colder, it is more flexible and
yields more readily.

The drop in humidity is probably a result of the raising of the temperature.
The amount of moisture in the air probably had not changed to speak of.
I have done many tests of tuning forks, and the pitch always lowers when
the temperature raises. I can understand that. I just don't understand
this yet.

I do know that Band instruments rise in pitch as they are played and warmed
up. in this case I believe that the column of air is what changes the pitch

Jim Coleman, Sr.