Baby Grand?

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 22:26:56 -0600

This evening there was a report on CNN showing O. J. Simpson's piano being moved out of his ex-house. The TV reporter referred to the piano as a "baby grand." That was not a baby grand. The piano was shown on a grand board and on a dollie with the underside showing. It appeared to be close to a seven foot. I'm guessing it was a Yamaha because it did not have the Steinway type leg mounts.

The term "baby grand" is ambiguous. It would seem logical that the smallest grand would be a baby grand. Yet many larger grands are referred to as baby grands. I actually get weary here in our store trying to explain just what is a baby grand. I now refer to any grand smaller than 5' as a baby grand. Some grands were called parlor grands, studio grands, artist grands, professional grands and semi-concert. These terms have been used but never really defined. Most piano people know the concert grand is nine feet.

Just tell us the size in feet and inches (or centimeters)--that says it all.

What's O. J.'s piano worth? Somebody will probably shell out mega bucks for that "baby".

Sy Zabrocki