responsibility

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Mon, 04 Aug 97 22:02:49

Piano brethren,
	This is primarily addressed to those of us who service dealer accounts but is
perhaps applicable to us all.
	I am now, once again, (how do I get into these things anyway) in the middle of a
skirmish between the manufacturer, the dealer, and our mutual customer.  A piano was
sold which inside of 2 1/2 years of it's date of manufacture has developed some minor
clicks and general light noise in the action noticable on light playing. During inspection
adn general toying around with it I found that a majority of the hammer flanges are
pinned with the right side bushing looser than the left and with the end of the pin on the
loose side slightly discolored (blackened).  This is complicated by an obvious lack of
proper regulation and or prep before delivery. Finally, this animal is voice to wake the
dead!
	Now that you all have the background (except the obvious .... the maker), I
would now like to offer the following for your musings. Where does the manufacturers/
dealers/ owners responsibilities begin and end?  Wouldn't it be nice to have an easy
to follow guideline? A line drawn in the sand, so to speak? How does one tactfully
handle a problem when they don't know where in the responsibility lies?  I have on a
number of occasions gone on exploritory service calls requested by the customer
where I have eaten the time because of the grey area of , who pays?  Not to tasty!
	 I enjoy having the dealer work that I do. That said, I'm finding more and more
that dealers in general don't seem to want to spend much if any at all on floor tunings (
not that I like them anyway) or any kind of prep work. The perception I have is that
they'll spend money to fix something not functioning but past that they feel that their
profit margin is not high enough to justify the expense.  I have noticed also that the
manufacturers (in general) also seem to be spending less time in the pre delivery prep.
I remember pianos showing up not really even needing full tunings. Not so anymore.
PLEASE! Understand I am most definitely not singleing out any piano builders out there
but rather unfairly lumping all of them together.  These are just general perceptions of
mine having done moderate dealer work for quite a few years now.
	I am anxious to hear your perceptions, suggestions, recommendations or
furthur musings on this subject.  I am NOT, however, interested in any flames as this
post is not meant to offend anyone.  That said          have at it all!!!!
				Kindest regards,
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`