Steinway "O"

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 05 Aug 1997 01:25:39 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bob:

The biggest cause I have found for heaviness in older Steinways is the
verdi gris (that green stuff which comes from the oxidation of the center
pins) and their effect on the tightness of the flanges. Protek (CPL) is
some help, but rebushing flanges or replacing all parts is a more permanent
cure. Sometimes changing action geometry is necessary. Your personal piano
may have this problem. BTW, these problems are not just limited to the
style O piano. I have a 1950's L which has had this problem with the verdi
gris for about 20 years. I have to get the Protek out about once a year,
and not just for the hammer flanges. The piano still sounds great with the
original hammers and strings.

Jim Coleman, Sr.