responsibility

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 05 Aug 1997 11:58:04 -0700

Greg, I don't understand how you can be in the middle.  It's the
manufacturers responsibility to repair or replace defective parts per
their warranty.  It's the dealers responsibility to create and keep a
satisfied customer.  It's your responsibility to report defects to the
dealer when you find them (if you have a business relationship. If not
it would still be a courtesy).  The dealer will call the manufacturer
requesting repair.  If he doesn't get it, he will have to foot the bill
for your work.  If he refuses to pay, you then request that he tell the
customer of his decision.  If he refuses to do that, you put on a sad
face and report this to the customer and quote your reqular price for
the repair.  At this point you have done all you can.   Step back out of
the way and watch them go ballistic!

These problems are not new, Greg when I started 25 years ago, the pianos
were coming in 50 cents flat and with a lot of problems.  I usually
absorbed the pitch raise, but I repaired sticking keys and other new
piano problems at the same hourly rate as the discounted tunings and
added them to the dealers bill.  Once in a while they would question
something, but mostly just paid them.  Most of the manufacturers
involved are no longer in business!

Hope this helps,

Warren

--