Teflon on hammer butts

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:12:19 +0000

David V. wrote:

> I am replacing the material on the catchers and hammer butts on a spinet
> piano.  I was wondering about whether or not to use teflon powder to
> lubricate the hammer butts just like you would lubricate grand knuckles.
> Any thoughts?

David,

	I've never tried teflon on upright hammer butt leathers, but now
that you mention it, why  not? It is a great friction reducer, and
the jack escapement on many verticals is less than smooth. However,
you want the backcatcher felt to make solid contact with the catcher
leather, and I would think that greater friction is needed here,
hence no teflon on the catcher leather.
	Also, is that an RPT I see behind our perennial associate's name?
Hearty congratulations! You've now joined the ranks of technicians
who put letters after their names.

Tip: don't use your teflon powder on frying pans (unless you want
them to slide across the kitchen floor) It makes the eggs taste
funny, too.

Regards,
8-)  Rob K.