Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 08:42:11 -0400

Glenn wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> A technician friend of mine, who also rebuilds, is doing a 1922 M for me.
> He cleaned the soundboard and called me over.  He said it still has plenty
> of the original Steinway varnish but under the hinges, where the board is
> fully exposed, there are some scratches and wear that left none of the
> varnish on that large area.
>
> Here's the dilemma:  If he sands the whole board down then the original
> Steinway varnish is gone forever, and soundboard is a much lighter color.
> If he leaves it alone (what he would do if it was his) he said nobody would
> notice because it is under the hinges (he will be putting some sort of
> sealant on the whole board anyway -- short name -- starts with a D).  I
> suggested perhaps sanding the whole board and then putting the same type of
> varnish that yellows the wood slightly and even more with time.  He said
> he's never done this but he would if that is what I wanted.  Whatever he
> uses will be brushed on.
>
> Any thoughts?  Authenticity is important to me but I do want a sharp
> looking piano.  I even asked for a soundboard decal even though the
> original didn't have one.
>
> Glenn.

Glenn,

A 1922 Steinway M soundboard, was almost surely finished in orange
shellac.  If your friend is careful, he can rub shellac over the exposed
portions of the soundboard, and blend it into the undamaged section.
Alternatively, he could remove all the old shellac with alcohol, and
carefully rub on a new coat.

The second option would be my choice.  The finish would be authentic, it
would look like new, and it would be good to last another 75 years.

.... and, if you want authentic, why are you adding a decal where there
was none?  It's like putting chromed mud flaps on a Rolls Royce.  I bet
you're even using nickel plated pins.  For shame.

Frank Weston