Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:08:24 -0700

Regarding the soundboard refinishingthreads: I have found that the
using orange shellac, perhaps adding a little analine dye, gives the color
you want, and you can wipe on and rub off very quickly to achieve the
desired look.  Shellac also dries within minutes, and in many climates,
you can apply a coat of varnish within an hour or so. It prevents the
soaking-in so often observed in refinished boards. If there is a complaint
about using spar varnish, it is that the finish has a certain "tack" which
remains for years.  It might be argued that this only matters when you
clean the soundboard later; more dirt sticks to it.  Personally, I don't
know.  I have occasionally used Artist's varnish or Damar varnish.  This
was intended as a protective coating for oil paintings, and has the flex
to withstand the rigors of canvas stretched over a frame, and  this
seems to allow for shrinking and swelling of boards as well.  My
personal favorite is "Old Village" varnish if you can find it,  as it dries
hard and clear, looks great, and seemd to lend a crispness to the sound,
although I acknowledge this might be subjective since there is no way to
quantify it. They also make the best paint for fine furniture I ever used.  I
knew an old violin maker, and had him varnish a couple of boards, using
his "secret recipe".  Even though we often maintain the thin coat of
varnish couldn't possibly make an audible difference, and the variables
were many, I never heard such sustain in a piano in my life!  Other techs
around the area had him varnish piano soundboards with similar results.
 Point is, I would like to see some experimenting in this area, similar to
what has been done with violins and the like.  I believe the coating we
put on a soundboard makes a diff, and I would love to know to what
extent.  Anyone else ever considered this?
Steve