Authentic Steinway sound board dilemma

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:38:05 -0500

Frank and list,I suggest that the refinishing process is largely a
matter of personal preference (within reason.)  I've since deleted the
message, but I do recall someone mentioning the use of defthane.  I have
always stayed away from the use of defthane or any other polyurethane
product on sound boards (or acoustic guitars, violins, etc.) because the
polyurethane creates virtually a "plastic" coating over the wood.
Sealing the wood in this manner would prevent it from "breathing."

I've never done any testing to determine if a polyurethane finish on the
board would alter the tone or resonance of the piano, perhaps Del or
others have.  I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts on
polyurethane on a sound board.

When it's my choice, I've always used nitrocellulose lacquer on boards
because I like the appearance produced by clear coating clean spruce.
If the customer has a preference, I'll apply whatever she wants.
Shellac, varnish and nitrocellulose all "breathe."

With no empirical evidence,
Danny Moore
Houston  Chapter