Elementary String Leveling Questions

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:58:13 -0400

>  Arnold since I can't improve on Steve's description I won't try.
>Hope this helps.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim is correct in all he said.  I would  like to add a comment or two.

If the stringer had done his job well, the change in pitch will be minimal.
If such a wide does occur you can assume that most of the rest of the
strings are not well terminated.

The more catinary the string (meaning curve at the aggraffe) the greater the
inharmonicity and the tone is not at it's best.

All strings should be leveled at pitch after stringing.

Old strings should not be leveled with a string stretcher or leveler because
they could break in the upper treble, but they can be lifted for  voicing.
I have broken strings when leveling, but I am careful about how much I lift
on older pianos.

File the hammer so the strike point is perfectly level from side to side
then level the strings to match.  The level the hammer can be changed to
match the strings better if you cannot get the strings up high enough, but
the strike point must be straight.  Most times the strike level can be
tilted low on the right side in the low middle section to lessen the amount
of lift in that area.

It is a good idea to check the level of the two right strings when the
action is shifted to get best tone then level the left string for best tone.
This takes time and patience and patience and time.

Lifted strings will lower when they are brought to pitch, so in the words of
Karl Rhoder at Steinway, "lift, tune, lift, tune, lift, tune, etc.".  Its
like pitch raising a piano.

     Newton
     nhunt@jagat.com