Polyester Repair

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 09:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, Sy --

>An older instruction sheet from Kawai suggests 5 drops hardener to one
teaspoon (5 milligrams) of polyester. That has worked for me on several
small pours. I usually insert a hammer shank in the bottle, withdraw the
shank and dispense one drop at a time. The problem is some drops are
noticeably larger than others. There are these anxious moments on each pour.
You only have a few minutes to work because the mixture starts to jel and
harden.

I don't know about ratios of hardener, but there might be a better way to
measure drops. Of course, an eye dropper would be fine, but for a few drops
of liquid I use a small plastic soda straw (sometimes they have small
diameters). Just dip the straw in the liquid, and put your finger over the
other end. Cart the straw to where you want the liquid, take your finger off
the end ...

If your hardener does not melt plastic, this might work. You could
experiment with the straw and water, and make marks on the straw for
different amounts. (If you hold the straw against the light you can see how
much liquid is in it.) You could end up with quite precise measurements by
working out lengths and fractions of lengths for different amounts of fluid.

If the hardener reacts with the plastic, you could just use small glass
pipettes, like in a chemistry lab.

It would be a lot _faster_ than the hammer shank method, anyway.

Regards,

Susan

.
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Enormous amounts of information are availabble, including, however, very
little reliable data on what it all means."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant