Lacquer Sources?reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 06:57:43 -0500

----------
> From: DGPEAKE@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Lacquer Sources?
> Date: Tuesday, August 12, 1997 11:33 PM
>
> My impressions of H2O based lacquers is that they change the color.  Dark
> finishes tend to "blue", etc.
>
> Has the technology changed enough over the years that you can stand side
by
> side 2 pieces of furniture and tell which one is H20 based or oil based
> lacquer?
>
> I personally like the idea of H20 based lacquers because they are safe.
But
> I have never been satisfied with the outcome.
>
> Your comments are welcome!
>
> Dave Peake, RPT
> Portland, OR
Dear Dave,
I build and finish piano benches and I use water borne, exclusively.  They
dry crystal clear although it looks bluish till it dries.  The reason nitro
finishes seem warm is that the material is sort of amber in color.  Try
putting a little amber in you water born if that is what you are after.
WB is the way to go working at home and trying to keep with others in the
same house.  No obnoxious fumes and way safer.  You need to learn slightly
different rules with the material and then you'll be fine.  It is also
cheaper, no thinner costs.
James Grebe
RPT from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com