Cracked Bridge Update

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:01:50 -0400

First of all, many thanks to those of you who have already responded to our
question about a cost-effective way of repairing a cracked bridge.  So many
of you brought up so many good points to keep in mind if/when the work
begins.

Now for some updates:

First of all, Jan has submitted a proposal to the customer for the work she
feels should be done throughout the piano, since this is primarily her
customer.  Ultimately the customer will decide what she is willing to pay
for and will work out the details with Jan.  If indeed I get the go-ahead
to do the bridgework, I will be happy to post a blow-by-blow account of
what actually gets done.  (Speak up now if you would rather not receive
such verbage.)

Secondly, I just got some notes from a rebuilder in this area with what
appears to be a very interesting bridge repair.  What he does is to drill a
series of holes along the crack and then plugs them with maple plugs.  Then
hel drills a second series of holes overlapping with the first set, and
plugs them.  The end result is a length of sound wood suitable for
installing bridgepins.  Is anybody else familiar with this repair?  Does
anybody know how well this stands up against the test of time?  ...

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net