hammer drop

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 21:43:44 -0400

Jan Otto wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am trying to finish up regulating a 5'8'' Kimball grand which is about
> 12 years old & has been used at a local college. It was an unplayable
> mess when I took on the job & I have now a very nice feeling & playing
> instrument. I have regulated many grands & this is the first time I have
> run into this problem.
>
> The action works just fine & I have the let off set at 1/8". Hammer
> height from strings at rest is 2 9/16 & dip is a tad over 3/8"Escapement
> is fine & the jack is about 1/8" from the rep lever felt when the key is
> pushed down.The rep spring has none too little or too much tension. The
> problem lies with the drop screw adjustment. In order to adjust the drop
> to half the let off, I have to bring the drop screw up as high as I can
> get it which does'nt seem right. I feel that I may be overlooking
> something but I don't know what. The aftertouch seems just right. Any
> ideas will be deeply appreciated.
>
> Thank you for any advice,  Jan Otto

I just ran into the same problem on a 1926 M&H "A" which was rebuilt
about 40 years ago.  The person who did the rebuild used action cloth
that was too thick on the end of the balancier on which the drop screws
bear.  This might be your problem also.

My solution: If the drop can be made correct and the action fits in the
piano with the current configuration, end of problem.  Otherwise replace
the cloths/leathers under the drops.

Frank Weston