Theoretical question

robert sadowski rls@ncinter.net
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 08:22:13 -0400

Paul,
I've spent many years in bands and realized that the basically principles
of guitar strings making waves are basically the same as pianos but the
results are different.
I may be going out on a limb here but  the guitar is using much smaller
gauge wire to produce the same pitches as a piano. I don't believe the
overtones are as much a factor. I've experimented with guitars and have
noticed that beats produced by stretched fourths and fifths on guitars are
far less noticable even when beating rapidly.  These beat rates could not
be tolerated on a piano. In the guitars case I don't think the whammy bar
really returns the strings exactly to their original position but our ears
can tolerate the difference in pitch left behind after the bar is returned,
especially in a group situation. I think you would find that any
experimental device like this on a piano would quickly render our fine
tuning jobs very painful to listen to.  I'd like to hear from the list
about any experiments in the history of the industry attempting to make
pianos more stable tuning wise.

Bob Sadowski RPT
Erie,PA.