Non-Equal Temperaments

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 08:11:00 -0500

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last semester I kept two practice room pianos at our local college tuned in
non equal temperaments.  I tried out Kirnberger III and Young's corrected
temperament No.1.  Even after asking for comments from faculty and staff, I
got only three comments, and no one could really tell any difference from
equal temperament (at least from the three responses I did get).

This semester I would like to try out some different non-equal
temperaments, especially suited for the baroque and classical era.  Alas, I
don't have Owen Jorgenson's big red book on "Tuning", so please e-mail me
your favorite well-temperament including cents deviation from equal
temperament.

Thanks!

David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT