billing

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:33:32 -0500

At 08:07 AM 8/18/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I would find out if the instrument is still under warranty, learn from the
>manufacturer what they suggest and charge the maker of this "sostenuto"
>system for your time to learn how to fix it.  The buyer paid extra for this
>rare feature, and it doesn't work.
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>New Orleans Chapter
>Covington, LA.
>lafargue@iamerica.net

Dear Lance,

This piano is a four year old Steinway model 45 upright.  The dealer that
sold it is very reputable and gives good service.  The piano is still under
warranty, but this is not warranty work.  It is my belief that "someone"
messed with the action and screwed up the dampers and sostenuto.  There are
many strange markings in ink such as numbers, letters and other markings of
some sort or other on most of the damper barrels.  No one at the college
claims knowledge of either the strange markings, or of "adjusting" the
dampers and sostenuto.  It is the belief of the dealer and of the college
administrator in charge of the pianos that this piano was used for some
sort of prepared music, but no one will confess to having abused the piano
in this way.

Lance, thank you for your input.  If I thought that this was a warranty
matter, I would have talked to the dealer first.  The dealer had already
inspected the piano and recommended me to do the work.  So the dealer was
well aware of the nature of the problem.

By the way, I made another trip to the piano, and in two hours was able to
make the sostenuto work to my satisfaction.  Thanks for all of the help!

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri, USA