Loose tuning pins in bass

Ted Simmons ted@PALMNET.NET
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:17:45 -0500

        Earlier this year I tuned a grand piano that had loose tuning pins
only in the single bass strings.  Since there were only a dozen or so I
pulled the beckets, removed the tuning pins, swabbed the holes with 5
minute epoxy, then coated the tuning pins with the same epoxy before
driving them in and reconnecting the strings.  This worked fine.  The
tuning pins were good and tight after that treatment.  Today I tuned
another grand with the same problem and recalled a post about using super
glue without removing the tuning pins.  I searched the pianotech listserver
and couldn't find anything that fit that description. I am reluctant to
change methods because the 5 minute epoxy works so well.  However, if there
is a method that I can use that would be easier and just as successful,
then I am interested.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL