Loose tuning pins in bass

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:37:33 -0400

Ted Simmons wrote:

>         Earlier this year I tuned a grand piano that had loose tuning pins
> only in the single bass strings.  Since there were only a dozen or so I
> pulled the beckets, removed the tuning pins, swabbed the holes with 5
> minute epoxy, then coated the tuning pins with the same epoxy before
> driving them in and reconnecting the strings.  This worked fine.  The
> tuning pins were good and tight after that treatment.  Today I tuned
> another grand with the same problem and recalled a post about using super
> glue without removing the tuning pins.  I searched the pianotech listserver
> and couldn't find anything that fit that description. I am reluctant to
> change methods because the 5 minute epoxy works so well.  However, if there
> is a method that I can use that would be easier and just as successful,
> then I am interested.  Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL

Although I am hesitant to admit it, I have used Bob Smith Super Gold
thin CA glue (superglue) to tighten loose pins.  It seems to work, but
I'm not sure I could endorse it as a permanent fix yet.

I first tried it on an old pinblock.  I reamed a few holes out to 4/0,
and inserted 2/0 pins - torque was zero at this point as tested with a
torque wrench.  I saturated the pins/holes with CA, not enough to run
over the pinblock or out the bottom of the hole, but enough to wick into
all crevices.  After about 10 minutes average torque was about 20, but
after turning the pins four or five revolutions it went back to zero.  I
wrote the experiment off as a failure, but the next day, when I tested,
torque was at 60, and has stayed at about 60 with a lot of turning in
and out ever since.  From 0 to 60 with just a squirt of CA is a pretty
good improvement, and 60 will certainly hold tune.

I tried this fix next on a customer's piano which had pin torque of less
than 20 on some random pins.  I FIRST REMOVED THE ACTION to prevent any
CA from wicking through, dripping down and causing a little more
touchweight than might be acceptable.  Torque came up enough in about 30
minutes for a stable tuning, and last time I checked, about three months
after the job, torque was stable at about 70.

Conclusion:  It seems to work, but after such a short time relative to a
piano's life between overhauls, who can say for sure.  It can certainly
be said that the procedure appears to do no harm and is simple to
perform.

Good luck,

Frank Weston