Oinking dampers

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 22:22:32 -0700 (MST)

Hi David:

You are right about the left string not vibrating as the other do
when you have the shift pedal down. This IS what causes the
"Oinking sound". For this very reason, it was explained to me
that the Bosendorffer factory did not regulate their grands to
shift far enough to miss the left string. Those who do half
shift pedal work when the shift regulation does clear the left
string will experience the same type of cut-off sound. It's
the price you pay for the different sounds you wish to make.

When the shift pedal is adjusted to completely miss the left
string, you can get the impression that the tone has a longer
duration. It probably is more than just the impression, because
while the two strings are giving up duration, the left string is
taking on energy which helps take up some of the percussiveness
of the prompt tone and then gives back energy in better duration of
the end sound.

Jim Coleman, Sr.