Measuring Crown

Delwin D Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet1.olynet.com
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 07:52:11 -0700

Michael J. Wathen wrote:

> What is a good method for measuring crown in a board?  What does good crown
> look like as a measurement?  Does it vary according to the size of the board?

We no longer bother. We measure string deflection and listen, listen,
listen, listen....

Yes, it varies according to the size of the board a little bit, but not
much. More, it varies with the length of the ribs, the thickness of the
soundboard panel, the age of the soundboard, how heavily the soundboard
bridges were loaded by the strings, etc.

Whatever the crown specification a soundboard assembly had when it was
pressed it no longer has when it is glued into a rim. And that changes
again once the string load is on the bridges.

--ddf