Acronyms

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

At 03:20 PM 8/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Would someone explain the following to a poor soul who has seen them in
>recent postings: PSO, POS, <g>? As a rookie in the computer world, I
>have to ask basic questions.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob Anderson
>Tucson,AZ

Dear Bob:

Welcome to the net, and the list. I love it.

"PSO" is "Piano-Shaped Object", a term if disparagement, of course. "POS" I
have no idea about -- probably a typing mistake, such as plague us all.
("Dyslexia for cure found", as they say ...)

<g> is net language for <grin>, meaning "please don't go off the deep end
about this, I'm only kidding". There is also <bg> for <big grin>. It is used
interchangeably with the "smiley" figures, such as :-) As soon as you make a
mild, seemingly obvious crack about something, and have somebody go
ballistic, you'll see why <g> is so common. <g>

There are a few others, such as IMHO ("in my humble opinion") and LOL
("laugh out loud"?) that come up, and a lot I haven't learned yet. I only
went on the net last January.

(What better way to find out, than to ask?)

Best wishes,

Susan

.
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"When all other means of communication fail, try words."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant