Acronyms

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:13:09 -0600

Dear Susan,Thomas, and Bob,

	I will take the blame for 'POS', (the credit goes to my father), it's NOT
a typo. It is, rather, very disparaging and contains a foul word for
excrement. So there. A POS is not always worse than a PSO, because some
very nice pianos can become PsOS when abused or used-up.
	PSO's, on the other hand, are born that way, and only exist to entertain
piano technicians.
	I also have not really been at the e-mail thing all that long, and should
probably try harder to use stuff like smileys and <g>s.
	Sometimes it's just more fun to see how serious other people look at
life...............................................................
Regards,
Guy

At 04:37 PM 8/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>At 03:20 PM 8/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Would someone explain the following to a poor soul who has seen them in
>>recent postings: PSO, POS, <g>? As a rookie in the computer world, I
>>have to ask basic questions.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Bob Anderson
>>Tucson,AZ
>
>Dear Bob:
>
>Welcome to the net, and the list. I love it.
>
>"PSO" is "Piano-Shaped Object", a term if disparagement, of course. "POS" I
>have no idea about -- probably a typing mistake, such as plague us all.
>("Dyslexia for cure found", as they say ...)
>
><g> is net language for <grin>, meaning "please don't go off the deep end
>about this, I'm only kidding". There is also <bg> for <big grin>. It is used
>interchangeably with the "smiley" figures, such as :-) As soon as you make a
>mild, seemingly obvious crack about something, and have somebody go
>ballistic, you'll see why <g> is so common. <g>
>
>There are a few others, such as IMHO ("in my humble opinion") and LOL
>("laugh out loud"?) that come up, and a lot I haven't learned yet. I only
>went on the net last January.
>
>(What better way to find out, than to ask?)
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Susan
>
>.
>Susan Kline
>P.O. Box 1651
>Philomath, OR 97370
>skline@proaxis.com
>
>"When all other means of communication fail, try words."
>			-- Ashleigh Brilliant

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Irreversibility is the mechanism that brings order from chaos"
						Prigogine