Impact hammer for restringing

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:38:01 -0700

Lance Lafargue wrote:
> Is there an air driven (or electric) tool used to hammer pins in.
> Would this possibly mess up tuning pin holes?  It seems that I've heard of
> some power tool being used.
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
> New Orleans Chapter
> Covington, LA.
> lafargue@iamerica.net

Lance,

I bought an air chisel a while back (when I used to have access to an
air compressor). It cost about $20 and came with a few different
chisels. I then cut a tuning pin punch in half, did the same with one of
the air chisel tools and had a welder join the front of the punch with
the back of the chisel tool.

I only had a chance to string a few pianos with this rig before the
compressor and I parted company but I can attest to its speed (and
noise). I prewound a whole section of tuning pins, giving each a quick
tap to start each into respective holes, and after a suitable forest was
built, I started driving in pins close to ultimate height with the
modified air chisel. It took approximately 1 second per pin and, with
adequate ear protection, was not at all fatiguing.

Hope you're not doing this in a mobile home park.

Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA