Pure 5ths tuning

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:01:29 -0400

>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>From: Marcel Carey <mcpiano@multi-medias.ca>
>Subject: Pure 5ths tuning
>
>This summer I tune for a music festival for about 25 concerts. The pianos
were a S&S "D" and a Yamaha CF-111. I Used the method that Jim Coleman Sr
explained. I was very pleased with the results. The two pianos had what I
think more personnality than before and more projection.What surprised me
though was that not one musician noticed. I got good comments from one
person assisting to the performance that told me that he had never heard a
CF-111 that sang so nicely. The only musician I told of my tuning method was
surprised to hear the difference. At rehearsal time, he just told me that
when listening to the tuning he felt it had more depth but he was afraid
that he would be distracted by it in concert. He just said " I hope this not
so just octaves don't distract me during the concert. But I usually don't
have time to listen to my playing."

>This bring me to the following:  Maybe we make too much fuss for the way we
try to make the tuning perfect. For me, the most important interval still is
the UNISON. In a concert situation, the difference between one temperment
and another wasn't so obvious, but I just couldn't have gotten away with bad
unisons.